Wednesday, March 15, 2006


We Knew Thee Only Briefly.....

Most people looked at her and said "what is that?" "She's a short haired collie." we would reply. "Never seen one of them before." was the general response. No...two years ago, neither had we. But thanks to our good friends Christie and Pat, who breed collies, we were blessed with Arwen for a wonderful year and 1/2.

When we were first introduced, I thought she was the most beautiful one in her huge litter. I couldn't believe how gorgeous she was. Christy complained that she was also a budding escape artist. . She grew up slender, wiry, and clever- almost looking more like a greyhound than a collie (I had actually been wanting a greyhound...but fell in love with Arwen). By the time she was eight weeks, her ears were almost the same size as her head and gracefully, alertly pointy. Despite the fact that we were already going to name her Hazel, after my adopted grandma who loved collies, those ears emphatically exclaimed that she could only be named after an elfen princess.
Yesterday, that clever girl was too smart for her own good. She figured out how to open the gate and she ran down the busy street in front of
our house with greyhound-like speed, undoubtedly, and was hit by a car about a 1/2 mile away. Today the kids are teary. Today our old border collie, Sophie, lays by Arwen's bed, looking at me sadly. Today, a part of our life is emptier. Goodbye dear, sweet girl.

3 comments:

Lotzastitches said...

Lora,
So sorry to hear about the loss of Arwen. The loss of pets hits us hard emotionally around here. We had a bad pet year in 2005. We lost one pet in each of the months of Mar, Sept, Oct and Nov. The last one being the worst since it was a young cockatiel that interacted with us a lot. Still sad about losing him. We only got to spend one and a half years with him also.

Genuine Lustre said...

Oh, I'm sorry Lora. : (

I have always wondered how I would cope with "the practicalities" of an animal who was hit by a car. I hope dh was around to retrieve poor Arwin.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. We always had dogs (poodles since my mom was allergic and later so was I) while I was growing up. We lost one to cancer at 5 years old and that was hard enough. You are all in my thoughts.
Heidi