Sunday, July 08, 2012

Jeff's Final Sermon at Zion

Okay, yes, it does say 35 minutes. But it is a beautiful sermon, and I hope that you take the time to listen to it.

 I deluded myself into thinking I wasn't going to cry, today...but how could I not? The tears started coming the first hymn which was "Come Unto Me Ye Weary"(LSB 684). One of the unique features about our church is that "Come unto me all ye who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest" is written on the front of the church. When we were here in seminary 15 years ago, I used to go driving up Coldwater, and when Jeff was called here, I remembered the church because of that.

And the tears came again when the Introit said "For the Lord has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place."

"A Mighty Fortress" was the sermon hymn, and I know it was because at Jeff's installation, he didn't know that, in the Midwest, people stand for "A Mighty Fortress."  This time, he told me later, it got done right.  :)

Then three wonderful children were welcomed to The Table through the rite of First Communion Before Confirmation.  I am so proud of Zion for that; for studying and allowing allowing the children of the congregation to go to Communion when they were ready, not just when they were old enough, my children included.

One of the Communion hymns, "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus" has the line "Hark the songs of peaceful Zion thunder like a mighty flood."  Flood indeed.

The Farewell rite, too...started with part of our wedding text --  Philippians 1:3-6

And the hugs.  Lots of hugs.  Lots of tears.  Lots of joy, too. 

Not feeling too eloquent today....just contemplative.


No comments: