Monday, September 08, 2008

Pearls Before Swine

For a clear example of a violation of Augsburg XIV (and others), check here. Jefferson Hills Church has stepped further into the mire of false practice and the pastors are in clear violation of their ordination vows in the Missouri Synod.

This is sad. Truly sad. It reminds me of college days with "Lutheran" friends of a similar mindset...a good evening followed by pitas and wine. That was wrong, too, and in taking Holy Communion while openly rejecting the Office of the Ministry, we were clearly sinning in our arrogance.

I did post to them, politely, asking how this was not in clear violation of Augsburg XIV, and why they despised their office so much as to eagerly hand it off to laymen, and to give them the honor of saying that they were ordained, despite that phrase being specific to the pastoral ministry -- and shunning the responsibility that were clearly the pastors' throughout Christian history, until the 20th century -- in violation of their ordination vows. I told them I hoped and prayed that they would repent. Just so you can gauge, if there is a response, I did not cuss, did not accuse rudely, did not insult.

I would post my comment word for word, but I forgot to copy it here BEFORE I copied the link to the blogpost. I am sure that it will not be posted on their blog.

8 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Thanks for the heads-up.

I read thru their article, and all I can wonder is if they're going to have "white satin," too.

I find the spilled wine out of a regular wine glass image pretty yucky, too. Nothing is sacred.

Unashamed said...

These people are Lutheran???

Agreeing with elephantschild - the image of the wine spilled makes me sick to my stomach.

Thursday's Child said...

I'm more liberal than you ladies in my ideas of communion (open communion believer here) but there's a line I won't cross. Lay people ASSISTING with the distribution of communion, OK. Lay people when there is no way to have an ordained minister there (overseas, Saudi, etc.) is something I'm can agree with when necessary. But this cocamamy (sp/) event? Puhleaze!

Kim said...

By the way, I just checked to see if they'd actually have the guts to publish any comments left on that post - they've disabled comments altogether on their blog.

And hey, this is the same church that was responsible for wasting $25000 of an "Ablaze" grant on some rather appalling billboards last Easter. Special.

RPW said...

Dogmom,

Yes, I saw that last night. Unbelievable.

Thursdays Child,

I don't have a problem with lay assistants, either, or ordaining a godly man to serve as pastor.

The language that they choose here is really tight...the congregation is calling these men to serve in this sphere. A congregation has the right to call men to serve as pastors, assistant pastors, etc. whether they go through the seminary or not. Bu the intentional use of the office, the "democratic" decision on doctrine and practice, and the environment that they are taking communion into...away from the congregation and into private homes for gatherings...

These pastors are despising their own office by constantly delegating their God ordained duties to laity...they don't do much teaching and now the honor and privilege of serving the Lord's Body and Blood to their flock can be handed off as well.

Untamed Shrew said...

They're not the only ones who censor women with valid points. I was edited from Lutherans and Procreation recently. Like you, no swearing, no ad hominem attacks or name-calling, no aggressive punctuation. I've thought of changing my blog name to Jon instead of Joy, but that'd be lying....

Elephantschild said...

Joy - don't take it too personally. They've been really awful about posting *anything* that asks any questions.

Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of having a blog if you've got ALL the comments off? Even moderated comments wasn't good enough? It's like... well... like Air America. A talk show with no audience!

Melody said...

I thought the spilled wine thing looked like the aftermath of Happy Hour. That turned me off before I read anything.